Monday, July 9, 2012

And the journey begins...

Today I decided I want to lose weight. 

Okay, that's a lie. I have always wanted to lose weight. In fact, I can remember being just six years old, sitting at the pool with the other kids in gym class, and thinking my thighs were too big.

I had always been "slightly chubby" until I was 15 years old. After moving to a new high school in a new state, becoming depressed, and starting to take dance classes again, I actually lost weight. For the first time in my life, I stopped obsessing about losing weight or what I was eating, and somehow I went from 135 lb. (at 5'3") down to 110-115 lb. without even trying. How frustrating is that?!

I have to be honest: it was amazing to be told I was skinny all the time. I loved being told how  thin I was. I loved fitting into size smalls, size zeros, wearing a bikini (for the first time!) 

Unfortunately, this did not last. I started gaining weight sometime during my sophomore year of college. I had gone through a bad break up, gotten depressed, begun taking antidepressants, etc. While I got stronger mentally, my body changed. My metabolism was different. My lifestyle was different. My body was different.

Since this time, I have somehow gained weight and been at a steady 150 lb. (+/- 5 lb.) for the past 6 years. I tried NutriSystem at one point but could not even get past a day of the food. It tasted awful. I dated a personal trainer and worked out incessantly. I tried Jenny Craig 1 and 1/2 times. The 1/2 because the last 2 times I tried it, I was not motivated at all. The first time, I lost 10 lb. and kept it off for about 9 months. I'm not gonna lie: I was really hungry during that diet. I signed up for Weight Watchers online and didn't even get past all the counting to even start. (Apparently, I hate math.)

So now here I am, summer 2012, age 27, weighing in around 155 lb. (still 5'3") and wanting to whittle myself down to a healthier 125 lb. I think that's a healthy goal for me. I won't be as "skinny" as I was in high school, wearing a size zero or size 2, but I will be at a healthy weight, a healthy BMI, and hopefully start feeling better (about myself!) Also, I am pretty sure the boy is going to be "popping the question soon" and while many girls try to lose weight before the wedding, I want to lose weight before the engagement pictures! What can I say? I'm vain.

The Medi Weightloss Clinic program
I actually thought about going to Jenny Craig today and signing up again, but wasn't all that excited about it. I was up at 5 am thinking about this! Somehow I stumbled across Medi online, while searching for something else, and saw the high ranked reviews. I skipped past the link, but eventually found myself returning to it. When I went to the website I was somewhat skeptical, not sure about starting and stopping another weight loss program and failing miserably at it. However, those reviews, many of them for my local center, were very motivating. I was intrigued. If you want to read about the program, check out their website to see what it's all about. I won't waste your time posting it here.

I was a bit worried about the price, but looked it up in a Google search and found approximate prices for clinics in other areas. I decided it was worth it to me. The website specifically states that prices vary by location, so if you are interested in trying this, you will want to contact your local clinic to get exact numbers, however, I calculated that it would be approximately $250-$300 for the initial 1.5 hour consultation, and $70-$80 for subsequent weekly visits until reaching my goal weight and entering the maintenance phase of $35/visit twice a month.

I know this is a chunk of change, but one thing that appealed to me was the doctor-prescribed appetite suppressants available if needed. I think my biggest problems with dieting failure is being hungry! Another thing that really appealed to me was Tara's weight loss story. While I think it's great when people lose 50-100+ lb., that is not realistic for me. I am overweight, but not obese. I could afford to lose 20-30 lb., which is substantial, but not overwhelming. Also, Tara lost weight right in time for her wedding, and in her Before and After photos, I felt we had a similar build. Well, right now it's just the Before photo...but I will get there!

So here I am, about to embark on this weight loss journey. I want to document it for myself, but also for anybody else who might be in the same boat. To prevent this introductory entry from getting any longer than it needs to be, I am going to write about my initial consult in a separate entry...but I wanted to state that I am not being paid to write this blog, nor am I in any way affiliated with Medi Weightloss Clinics except as a client/patient. I am just a normal girl, wanting to lose weight, and wanting to document it. Join me on my journey!

Cheers,
D

No comments:

Post a Comment