Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 1...ketosis bound!

I went in for my 8:45am blood draw and then headed to Bed Bath & Beyond to get a digital scale. They had a number of options, and unfortunately I didn't really do any research before getting there. I did a quick mobile search on my iPhone and settled on the Oxo Good Grips Food Scale. It was a bit pricey ($49.99) but I prefer quality items, and I liked that it had a slim design, and had a removable stainless steel platform that can be put through the dishwasher. I also had the famous 20% coupon, which made it $39.99--even better!

I then headed to Walgreens to return a hair item I bought last week, and to pick up a large pill organizer. I decided since I will be taking supplements 3-4x a day that I needed to organize them or I'd never be able to remember. I wish I had gotten a larger size, as the supplements are a bit bigger than I expected, but I also wanted something slim to be able to travel with or carry in my purse if need be. I found one that has 4 compartments per day (Morn, Noon, Eve, Bed), and where each day can be conveniently removed for travel. Bonus: I found one purple one hidden behind the blue ones. (Purple is my favorite color!)

Big pills!
So let's be honest -- I'm hungry! I did not get any jittery feelings or heart palpitations from the appetite suppressant the way I expected, so I went ahead with the 3 dosages (approximately 30-60 minutes before each meal). They seemed to be working at the beginning of the day, but not so much as the day wore on. Granted, I have somewhat been "obsessing" over food, and thinking about it, I am probably making myself hungrier. I'm going to keep it up and see how it goes.

It is interesting keeping the food journal. I am counting serving sizes (ounces with my handy new scale!), calories, hunger ratings, etc. It's a bit of a commitment, and something I will need to push myself to keep up with, but I guess it will become more routine as I go. 

It is the size of a checkbook.

I really hope I will get used to the lower calories and the lack of fresh fruit and vegetables and BREAD! At least this protein diet is only for one week. I definitely got some Kroger CARBmaster Yogurt, as recommended by my nutritionist. I am not a huge greek yogurt fan (which is recommended for the week), and I am especially not a fan of plain greek yogurt--gross! The Kroger CARBmaster Yogurt is allowed, as it has a minimal amount of carbs (4g) per serving. I also bought plenty of freshly sliced deli meats (low-sodium if given the option), and a number of turkey products: pepperoni, sausage patties, sausage links, burgers, hot dogs. I found the Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup which is also low carb. I got some spices (Mrs. Dash, curry, etc.), some Wish-Bone Salad Spritzers, low-fat cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, low-fat string cheese, sugar-free Jell-o, SmartWater (for electrolytes, since I don't like flavored sports drinks), Parkay spray, eggs, All Whites, smoked salmon, and a jar of snack-sized dill pickles.

I thought the girl was weird when she told me to wrap deli meat around a pickle spear, but it was really good (and fun too). I like the little snack pickles and 3 of them is a 1 oz. serving with ZERO calories. I'm not sure, but I think I can eat as many pickles as I want. (Need to check on that.) 

Anyway, I should eat dinner now; my schedule is a bit off today due to the fasting and morning blood draw and shopping trip. I am pretty hungry, and possibly developing a headache (which occurs when I don't eat...enough), but I have seen so many people say they were not hungry on the plan, so I'm willing to give it some time. Stay tuned.

-D

1 comment:

  1. One thing that helps me make it through the day on so little food? I space it out. I tend to eat 100-150 calories of protein per sitting and eat more frequently.

    You should try the Vlassic Splenda sweetened Bread & Butter pickle spears, also 0 calories & tons of flavor! The zesty dills are great too. Only thing to watch for on pickles is the sodium content. Just drink a little extra water & you should be fine though.

    How do you feel the appetite suppressents are working for you so far??

    ReplyDelete