Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Initial consultation and ketosis

As of 2 minutes ago I began my fast. I am fasting (nothing but water starting at 12:00 midnight) so that I can have my blood analysis done in the morning. This is scheduled for 8:45am, and then I am free to begin Day 1 of Week 1.


I was able to schedule my initial consultation for 3:00pm today. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to search for  discount coupon, but I was told that these are sometimes available online or in the local newspaper. 


When I arrived, I met with the lady whom I spoke with on the phone. I had already filled out my admission paperwork at home and brought it with me. I gave a urine sample, and signed some papers, and had my blood pressure taken. I then received my Tanita Slip, which is a print out of my body composition analysis. The numbers showed me my distribution of body weight (lean body mass vs. fat mass). Specific details included Fat%, Fat-Free Mass or FFM (which is composed of muscle, bone, tissue, water), Total Body Water or TBW, Body Mass Index or BMI (a height-to-weight ratio), Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR (total bony energy expended by the body to maintain normal functions at rest), and Fat Mass (total weight of fat mass in the body). 


Here is my first Tanita Slip!


After going over these levels, she gave me 2 injections: Medi-Bolic Booster (a proprietary formula containing a combination of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids specifically designed for the program) and Vitamins B6/B1 combo (which boosts metabolism, increases energy, and enhances the immune and nervous systems). The Medi-Bolic Booster was pretty painless, but the B6/B1 combo was serious! Let me explain that these were given in my left buttock area! (I have not had any injections given there since I was in elementary school!) The needle prick was not all that bad, but the feeling of the injection was pretty...unexpected. It burned a little, and is still a bit sore even now, 9 hours later.


Next she took my Before photo (which I didn't look at), and then I was led into another exam room and undressed for my EKG. After my EKG was done (2 were taken), she gave me a reusable bag with some goodies inside and I went into another exam room to await my physical. My physical was performed by a Physician's Assistant, or PA. She was very nice and asked me a lot of questions regarding my personal and family medical history, as well as medications and lifestyle habits. She gave me a basic physical exam and also talked to me in detail about the use of an Appetite Suppressant. These are not prescribed to everybody, but were something we both felt would be helpful for me. 


Next, I met with a nutritionist. She was also very nice and really funny. She explained all of the supplements to me, as well as what I will be doing for my first week. I am going to begin the Acute Phase tomorrow, and for Week 1, she explained, I will be eating only a recommended amount of protein, and no carbohydrates, to ideally enter a moderate level of ketosis. I did not know what ketosis was, and she explained it to me: it signifies that you are burning fatty tissue and that your stored carbohydrates have been depleted. I will check my ketones in the middle of the week to see if I'm there. I was also recommended to limit my exercise, or not exercise at all this week. I'm okay with that!


We went over some suggested foods, some banned foods, some sample menus, as well as a daily plan for meals and supplements. When she finished answering all of my questions, I was finished and ready to check out. 


We had decided that I would have my blood analysis done the next day so I'd have a chance to fast (as needed) but also before entering into the ketosis stage, as I want to get levels when my body is normal. I am curious to see how my iron levels are, as I've previously had low levels.


So right now, it's 12:37am, and my butt is still a bit sore. I'm only allowed to drink water now until my blood analysis at 8:45am, and then I will be heading to the grocery store to purchase the foods I will be eating this week, and I will be getting started!


I have decided to take some of my own Before photos, and am posting them (gasp) on here so that I have something to look back on. 


I actually looked decent in this bikini last summer, but I am probably a good 15 lb. heavier this year. I am most unsatisfied with my stomach/hips, upper thighs, and upper arms. I also wouldn't mind losing a cup size!
This is a cute dress I bought at the beginning of summer. My goal is to look good in it by the end of the summer/early fall. I want to feel comfortable with my stomach area and exposed arms.

1 comment:

  1. You ARE brave, posting a photo in a bikini? Wish I had the guts! LOL

    Sounds like your first visit was much more in-depth than mine. I don't even know if the clinic I use *has* a nutritionist! I know which people are PA's because they wear lab coats. :-p

    ReplyDelete